If you are a manager who needs to source fire extinguisher courses London, fire marshal courses London or just general staff fire training for your staff that is suitable for your workplace and your activities, within budget and is of suitable quality; where do you start?
Typing fire training, fire safety training, fire extinguisher training, fire marshal training, fire marshal courses etc into a search engine will bring up a multitude of fire trainers who claim to provide adequate fire safety training, approved courses, fire service trainers and other grand claims…. but how do you find a suitable trainer who will provide courses that are suitable for your staff, workplace activities and the unique features of your premises and circumstances.
Selecting a fire training company or organisation without a recommendation or prior knowledge can be like selecting an internet holiday, buying a car on topcar.net or even hoping that those FA cup tickets for £50 are real. So what should you look for and consider:
Fire Service training companies or training departments
- Are usually the most expensive
- Often use staff without previous fire safety or fire training experience or even retired officers!
- Run generic courses / open courses – These may talk in general terms and not specific to your needs
- Fire Extinguisher companies
- Reasonable price
- May talk about products of the company
- Usually a limited course range
- Approved by training bodies
- What are the requirements to join these bodies?
- Length of courses?
- Ex fire service trainers
- What experience did the trainers have? Operational? Fire Safety department, Training?
- What rank or level did they reach – This may reflect the quality and content of the courses
- Does the company have an extensive list of courses
- Do they offer other services – if so what?
- Bespoke training – Does the company ask to see your fire risk assessment, emergency plan, fire procedures or visit your premises?
Other issues to consider are:
Does the trainer offer a certificate? If so, is this a certificate of attendance or does this involve an accredited exam or short test. Remember there is no requirement for an accredited or certificated course and this may add to the cost of the course.
Does the trainer offer a practical exercise? Fires inside a building are very different to those that occur outside. Whilst a practical exercise may be of value, any exercise should reflect the fact that fire extinguisher use is first aid firefighting and should only take place if a person is at the scene when the fire starts. Most people have very little experience of fires occurring in buildings and only very small fires should ever be tackled, preferably as they start.
Does the fire company have an up to date website? Does it regularly update its content and news page? If a website is not updated on a regular basis, will the company update their training courses?
What is the cost of fire training? Many fire training companies limit the numbers of attendees. This is likely to be enforced because of a practical fire training session. If all members of staff need to be trained this could force up the overall cost for your annual fire training. Check out our article “Is fire training a legal requirement?” – some organisations train only nominated fire teams rather than train all personnel on how to use fire extinguishers. If this is the case, it should be documented in the fire risk assessment and made clear in any fire action notices in the building.
When selecting a fire training company think:
- Tailored or generic
- Will it assist your company with induction, periodic, updated and role specific training
Fire marshal courses London – fire extinguisher courses London
Fire Training London provides fire training for companies and organisations at its central London training venues or bespoke training at organisations premises for an affordable fee with no limitations on delegate numbers. Other services and products include Fire Risk Assessments, fire safety audits, competent person support, evacuation chairs, evacuation chair training and many other services.